Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for many can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to see an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer a number of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Must Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You must take away the old lawn. Eliminating the old lawn will ensure that if you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate with the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you have to consider the grade at which your yard currently sits as well as the volume of soil you have to install for your new lawn. In a few special cases when you may add a layer of brand new soil without having to be above grade, you might leave the present lawn set up. New lawns will demand a minimum depth of three inches of any well draining soil, full of nutrients. Most lawn removals may be completed with the use of sod cutter, utilizing a bobcat as well as an excavator in challenging to access yards can be a hazard and may create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil for the new lawn is very important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will spot much better growth over time in case a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the better expensive the soil, the better quality.
The best lawn needs to be made with a minimum of 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand and the sub grade should be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that have paper recycling waste and have a strong odor should be avoided also. Typically topsoil today is produced from compost, make sure you ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make sure the composting process is done. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance should be requested from the supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf is definitely the preferred approach to installing a brand new lawn. Sod can be installed all year round and turf farms are ready to accept supply throughout the year.
The variety of grass seed or sod to make use of will depend on:
1. The usage of your lawn area. This includes the quantity of traffic that the lawn area is exposed to, including pets and youngsters.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures in your climate.
Generally turf which comes from a sod farm or supplier will carry a variety of sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow varieties of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some cases specialty grasses are available for low maintenance. Be sure to ask…
The Best Way To Install the Sod. Installing a whole new lawn may be completed by using these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams tend not to match on top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending a little extra time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will ensure the grass covers all the soil. Should you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be quite a complicated job in the event you don’t spend the time to accomplish it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces in place with a sharp knife. You could niugpu the scraps to fill out other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. There is no need to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod when you install. Do not allow the turf dry up at any time. If the sod is permitted to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams and also the turf may die. Installing sod on a hot day may need frequent watering so make sure you are prepared in advance.
5. Roll the newest lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a whole new lawn is a very rewarding task and gives instant beautification for any property.